Thursday, August 30, 2007

Travis of Arabia

Last you heard I was heading off to the desert in Jordan. Well I made it back out... just.

The Bedouin Tribes of Jordan, as seen in Lawrence of Arabia and other such places, provide a great day trek out into the desert. You journey around using their traditional mode of transport, a Toyota Landcruiser. They have learned to tame these savage beasts. At one point one refused to go any further. It had reared up and was heading backwards. But with some gentle coaxing from it's handler, and a timely tap with a spanner, we were back on our way. Just around the corner however we got bogged in the sand. But again these Bedouin were masters of these beasts of burden and we were off again.

There were 5 in our group, 2 Italians, a French-Moroccan and a French-Canadian. It was very handy having this mix. The driver could only speak Arabic, which the French Moroccan could translate into French which in turn the French Canadian translated to the rest of us. I think some details may have been lost however. What started as a 5 minute conversation when it got back to me was simply "we're stopping here."

We spent the night out under the stars in the desert, it was great. I then headed back to Petra to see Petra by night. It was a lot like Petra by Day except you couldn't see much.

I'm now in London. I did a comedy gig for old time's sake at the 'King Gong. A few old friends joined me. It must have been great for them. After waiting all night to see my act I got one joke out resulting in a boo, then a second that resulted in a gong. Good to see I haven't lost it!

I'm heading off to Africa tomorrow night.

No comments: